HAGERSTOWN, MD: With the Brawl in the Fall scheduled since the beginning of the year for October 27-28, Hagerstown Speedway could only hope for a good weekend weather-wise after last year’s surprise snow storm which postponed the event.

As qualifying events were completed Saturday with all feature line ups set, officials were reviewing all available weather data, much with different scenarios, with all good intentions of having a window of opportunity Sunday to complete the feature events.

With the brunt of Superstorm Sandy actually forecast for Monday, it grew in size while approaching up the Eastern Atlantic and by Sunday morning, a leading edge had already extended to the track with a drizzle falling. This left no other option but to postpone to the first available date of Sunday, November 11th.

Sandy will be one the Northeast will not forget for a long time as it created devastation all along the Eastern coast until making its turn inland further to the north.

Hagerstown Speedway did weather Sandy well in comparison to its neighbors, however received some damage. Located just behind the speedway backstretch, the Conococheague Creek did crest its banks and flooded into the pit area. There are trees down, some signs were also victims of the high winds and power surging on and off since the worst of the storm, but clean-up will be much easier than for thousands that have extensive damage to their homes, farms, and businesses and may be without power for weeks. Our heartfelt sympathies go out to the fans, drivers, crew members and anyone affected by this natural disaster.

Since Monday, the speedway has received a number of calls from various drivers who had different reasons for an inability to return on the postponed date making speedway officials meet to discuss and rethink the rescheduling date.

“Next week is not enough time for many to recover from this mess to be able to enjoy the races,” said speedway owner, Frank Plessinger.” Pushing it back another week will only put us into colder and more unfavorable weather conditions as well as other scheduling conflicts. The next weekend is Thanksgiving and definitely not a choice.”

Discussing a plan to complete the Brawl’s feature day on a spring Sunday was favorable to the majority of those calling. Sunday was preferred as not to conflict with other tracks that also get underway early.

Hagerstown Speedway certainly regrets this unfortunate situation; however, this natural disaster left very few alternatives. This change will allow fans and drivers a better opportunity to have this race under better weather conditions and all around better circumstances currently surrounding the Northeast.

Rain date info as follows:

1. The two day rain checks are good, so DO NOT LOSE them!

2. The entire race fields are already set to race, so if a car owner and driver part ways, the car, not the driver, starts the event. The car owner can allow the driver to take the spot if he/she chooses. Either way the unqualified car/driver will start at the rear of the field.

Hagerstown’s 2013 schedule and those of other speedways are just beginning the planning stages. Sunday March 17th will be the make up date for the Brawl in the Fall with a raindate of Sunday March 24th.