Holtgraver wins UNOH ALL Star Circuit of Champions Sprints; Lee and Holmes also victorious at NAPA Auto Parts Wayne County Speedway
By Ryan Pearson
Orrville, Ohio (September 2, 2012) Mother nature was a race fan as NAPA Auto Parts WCS officials opened the race track for another night of fierce racing action and door handle to door handle action. Tonight’s races were sponsored by VP racing fuel.
In the UNOH ALL Star Circuit of Champions Sprint division Wooster Ohio Dean Jacobs jumped to the early lead just ahead of David Gravel, Byron Reed and Tim Shaffer. On lap two Jacobs hit slick spot on race track and drove into the pit area nearly full speed and handed the lead over to Reed. The eyes were on the young guns as Sheldon Haudenschild had moved into the fourth position and was applying pressure to Gravel for third. By lap ten sixteenth starting Danny Holtgraver had moved into the top five and was looking to slip past Haudenschild for fourth. Up front Reed still led and he was chased by Shaffer and Gravel. All eyes were on the D4 machine of Holtrgraver as he made short work of both Gravel and Shaffer and just needed to catch the leader Reed. Quickly the ten car length lead Reed had evaporated as Holtgraver closed on the leader. As the race end neared Holtgraver worked the inside of Reed but to no avail. On lap twenty five Holtgraver seized the opportunity as he slipped past Reed on the high side to wrestle the lead from Reed. At the drop of the checkered it was Holtgraver coming home the winner followed by Reed, Gravel, Stevie Smith, Shaffer and Rob Chaney. Jack Sodeman Jr, Danny Smith and Caleb Helms won heat races. Jacobs won the dash, Shaffer set quick time and Holtgraver was hard charger gaining fifthteen positions in the feature.
In the Lias Tire Super Late Model division George Lee powered to the early lead just ahead of Charlie Duncan, Ryan Markham and Devin Moran. With Lee out front Duncan looked high and looked low for a way around the leader but was unable to make a pass. On lap nine Lee was still out front but Keith Berner had entered the mix of the top five. Lee began stretching his lead as a three way battle for second ensued with Duncan, Moran and Berner all very close on the race track. On lap sixteen the caution flew for Justin Collet who spun in turn four. Under caution Ryan Markham retired for the night ending a solid run in the top ten with mechanical issues and Shane McLoughlin went pit side to change a tire. On lap nineteen Moran began applying heavy pressure to Duncan for second place, Duncan held the position but Moran wasn’t giving up. Lee again stretched his lead but Moran trying to push his car harder and harder jumped the cushion in turn one which resulted in Berner slipping by for third. At the start finish line it was Lee followed by Duncan, Berner, Moran and Brad Malcuit. Moran, Berner and Lee won heat races.
In the Thrifty Discount Muffler Pure Stocks Justin Patterson and Rich Frame led the field to the green flag. On the initial start several cars got together which resulted in Eric Eicholtz spinning on the back stretch. They lined them up and tried again this time had nearly same results just Bob Daugherty spun into the infield and stuck a uke tire. Rich Frame suffered flat tire, went pit side and returned to the tail of the feature. At the drop of the green flag for the third time Ryan Wisecarver jumped to the lead. He was chased by Paul Holmes, Justin Patterson, Brandon Morrow and Jesse Wisecarver. The caution flew and erased the lead Ryan Wisecarver had on the field. On the restart Holmes dipped under Ryan Wisecarvere as they entered turn one and his pass stuck as the raced off turn two and down the back straightaway. Holmes never looked back as he took home the win ahead of Ryan Wisecarver, Morrow, Patterson and Chase Alexander. Daughtery and Ryan Wisecarver won heat races.
For additional information contact Jason or Kristin Flory at: 330-465-2365, or email at email@example.com. For news, updates and schedule visit the Wayne County Speedway website at www.waynecountyspeedway.com. Wayne County Speedway is located nine miles east of Wooster, or 15 miles west of Massillon on US Rt. 30, then one mile north on Carr Road.
Wayne County Speedway – 9/2/2012
All Star Circuit of Champions (27 Cars)
Qualifying – Kistler Engines
1. 83-Tim Shaffer, 14.975; 2. 89G-David Gravel, 14.988; 3. 5R-Byron Reed, 15.082; 4. 97-Dean Jacobs, 15.126; 5. 2-Dale Blaney, 15.252; 6. 19-Stevie Smith, 15.322; 7. 45-Paul McMahan, 15.394; 8. 3L-Mike Linder, 15.460; 9. 83M-Broc Martin, 15.507; 10. 29-Rob Chaney, 15.523; 11. 93-Sheldon Haudenschild, 15.524; 12. 38K-Lee Jacobs, 15.563; 13. 23JR-Jack Sodeman Jr., 15.584; 14. 25-Chris Myers, 15.598; 15. 11D-Bryce Dickson, 15.713; 16. D4-Danny Holtgraver, 15.725; 17. 40-Caleb Helms, 15.777; 18. 4-Danny Smith, 15.782; 19. 16-Danny Mumaw, 15.815; 20. W20-Greg Wilson, 15.902; 21. 22-Brandon Spithaler, 15.906; 22. 15H-Mitch Harble, 15.961; 23. 54-Cap Henry, 15.983; 24. 23P-Nick Patterson, 16.238; 25. 4AU-Jack Lee, 16.267; 26. 41-Jimmy Pooler, 16.674; 27. 70-Pete Grove, 17.012
Heat 1 – Kears Speed Shop (8 Laps – Top 6 finishers transfer to the A-feature)
1. 23JR-Jack Sodeman Jr. ; 2. D4-Danny Holtgraver ; 3. 45-Paul McMahan ; 4. 97-Dean Jacobs ; 5. 83-Tim Shaffer ; 6. 29-Rob Chaney ; 7. 16-Danny Mumaw ; 8. 15H-Mitch Harble ; 9. 4AU-Jack Lee
Heat 2 – All Pro Aluminum Heads (8 Laps – Top 6 finishers transfer to the A-feature)
1. 40-Caleb Helms ; 2. 25-Chris Myers ; 3. 89G-David Gravel ; 4. 93-Sheldon Haudenschild ; 5. 2-Dale Blaney ; 6. 54-Cap Henry ; 7. W20-Greg Wilson ; 8. 3L-Mike Linder ; 9. 41-Jimmy Pooler
Heat 3 – Dragon Race Fuel (8 Laps – Top 6 finishers transfer to the A-feature)
1. 4-Danny Smith ; 2. 11D-Bryce Dickson ; 3. 5R-Byron Reed ; 4. 19-Stevie Smith ; 5. 38K-Lee Jacobs ; 6. 22-Brandon Spithaler ; 7. 83M-Broc Martin ; 8. 23P-Nick Patterson ; 9. 70-Pete Grove
Dash – Outerwears Performance Products (6 Laps, finishing order determined first 6 starting positions of A-feature
1. 97-Dean Jacobs ; 2. 89G-David Gravel ; 3. 5R-Byron Reed ; 4. 83-Tim Shaffer ; 5. 2-Dale Blaney ; 6. 19-Stevie Smith
B-Main – MSD Ignition (12 Laps – Top 6 finishers transfer to the A-feature)
1. 3L-Mike Linder ; 2. 83M-Broc Martin ; 3. 16-Danny Mumaw ; 4. W20-Greg Wilson ; 5. 23P-Nick Patterson ; 6. 15H-Mitch Harble ; 7. 4AU-Jack Lee ; 8. 70-Pete Grove ; 9. 41-Jimmy Pooler
A-Main – University of Northwestern Ohio (30 Laps)
1. D4-Danny Holtgraver; 2. 5R-Byron Reed; 3. 89G-David Gravel; 4. 19-Stevie Smith; 5. 83-Tim Shaffer; 6. 29-Rob Chaney; 7. 2-Dale Blaney; 8. 4-Danny Smith; 9. 45-Paul McMahan; 10. 93-Sheldon Haudenschild; 11. 38K-Lee Jacobs; 12. 23JR-Jack Sodeman Jr.; 13. 83M-Broc Martin; 14. 3L-Mike Linder; 15. 16-Danny Mumaw; 16. 54-Cap Henry; 17. 22-Brandon Spithaler; 18. 15H-Mitch Harble; 19. 40-Caleb Helms; 20. 25-Chris Myers; 21. 11D-Bryce Dickson; 22. W20-Greg Wilson; 23. 23P-Nick Patterson; 24. 97-Dean Jacobs
Hard Charger: D4-Danny Holtgraver[+15]
Lias Tire Super Late Models
1. George Lee 2. Shane McLoughlin 3. Brad Malcuit 4. Weston Hutchinson 5. Larry Bellman 6. Doug Kenworthy 7. Jerry Aber
1. Keith Berner 2. Charlie Duncan 3. David Liles 4. Jesse Wisecarver 5. Brandon Gardner 6. Justin Collet
1. Devin Moran 2. Ryan Markham 3. Steve White 4. Richie Taylor 5. George Delaney 6. Brian Giaugue
1. George Lee 2. Charlie Duncan 3. Keith Berner 4. Devin Moran 5. Brad Malcuit 6. David Liles 7. Steve White 8. Jesse Wisecarver 9. Brandon Gardner 10. Shane McLoughlin 11. Larry Bellman 12. Richie Taylor 13. Doug Kenworthy 14. Hiram Bachman 15. Jerry Aber 16. Ryan Markham 17. Justin Collet 18. George Delaney 19. Brian Giaugue 20. Weston Hutchinson DNS: Blaine Aber
Thrifty Discount Muffler Pure Stocks
1. Bob Daugherty 2. Paul Holmes 3. Eric Eicholtz 4. Shaun Cains 5. Chris Albright 6. Brad Parker 7. Don Baney Jr. DNS: Brock Burcher
1. Ryan Wisecarver 2. Rich Frame 3. Justin Patterson 4. Todd Swim 5. Brandon Morrow 6. Chase Alexander 7. Mark Ferguson 8. John Tantarelli
1. Paul Holmes 2. Ryan Wisecarver 3. Brandon Morrow 4. Justin Patterson 5. Chase Alexander 6. Jesse Wisecarver 7. Eric Eicholtz 8. Shaun Cains 9.Chris Albright 10. Rich Frame 11. John Tantarelli 12. Bob Daugherty DNS: Mark Fergerson, Todd Swim, Don Baney Jr., Brock Bucher